The Honours Program requires completion of 60 or more credits in a discipline, with superior performance required to enter and remain in the program. In their first year, students may register in Honours program courses, but acceptance as Honours students will depend entirely on academic performance.
An honours program is available in each computer science option for students in the BCompSc.
Minimum Requirements for Remaining in the Honours Programs
The following are the minimum academic standards required for Honours programs across the University:
- An Honours student must meet general degree requirements and the specific requirements for an Honours program.
- An Honours student must maintain a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 in all Honours courses; the minimum acceptable grade in any Honours course is “C”.
- An Honours student must have a minimum GPA of 2.70 for Honours courses taken each year. For part-time students this is calculated in 18-credit blocks.
- In non-Honours courses, an Honours student must have a GPA of no less than 2.00.
- Honours students who do not meet these standards will be withdrawn from the Honours program and will proceed in the Major or Specialization program. Reinstatement in the Honours program is possible only with the permission of the Faculty Honours Committee.
Additional Requirements for the Honours BCompSc Program
- Applications to enter an Honours program must be submitted to the Office of the Associate Dean (Student Academic Services) at least three months before the start of the term in which the student wishes to enter an Honours program.
- Students must complete at least 30 credits towards their degree before entering an Honours program.
- Each student in an Honours program must have an Honours advisor who approves the student’s choice of courses prior to each registration.
- Students who are required to withdraw from an Honours program may continue in the regular program of their option provided they are in acceptable or conditional standing according to the academic regulations listed in the Undergraduate Calendar.
Course Requirements for Honours Programs
Honours students must fulfil the requirements of their option. In addition, to receive an Honours degree:
- The student must have a Graduation GPA of at least 3.30.
- The student must successfully complete the course COMP 490.
- For students in the Computer Games, Computer Systems, Web Services and Applications, and Software Systems Options, at least six of the General Electives credits must be chosen from the list of Computer Science Electives.